Friday, January 9, 2015

Don't Hold Your Breath


I am haunted by Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants."  For a short story in which nothing much actually happens, images swirl in my mind's eye when I turn it towards those long, white hills and the railway station.  For some reason, I picture the station as an isolated structure flanked by tracks that stretch endlessly in both directions.  The climate is arid and save for the hills and river, the terrain is colorless. I can see the flies and the waves of heat rising from the tracks, hear the buzzing, and smell the salty sweat mingled with the sweet licorice scent of anise.  Those hills, though.  They rise white, and smooth as marble with their humped backs, denying a foothold to the adventurer bold enough to attempt the ascent.  For me, the setting is the life of the story.  It breaths while the American and the girl suffocate, stifled by their burden and each other's company.

In the midst of this vivid setting, I can hear the man saying, "They just let the air in and then it's all perfectly natural." (line 46)  It echoes.  It hangs in the air.  It pulsates with the heat waves.  It is the most disconcerting statement used to describe abortion that I have ever read.  It seems mundane and horrific simultaneously.  Perhaps it is the emotionlessness of the statement in contrast with her obvious agitation and misgivings.  It sounds like he's just suggesting they air out her womb like one airs a stuffy room that was shut up, so it can be entered once more.  

Suddenly, I am with Jig at the table as she sits alone.  The atmosphere is constricting and I must inhale to remind myself what it is to breath.  Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment